Wednesday 27 April 2011

tenmoregirls artist profile : andrea iglesias

This week Andrea Iglesias talks to us about her background and what inspires her.
For tengirls tencolours, she is exploring the colour GREEN.

Andrea Iglesias is a Sydney based Jewellery designer/ maker. She started her Jewellery making journey in 1997 in Colombia. Started her own business called Andrea Iglesias DiseƱos.In 2006 she arrive to Sydney to study Jewellery & Object Design at the Design Centre Enmore, were she graduated in 2008.

What materials inspire you?
Silver, to see this material evolve is magical. All the processes is an adventure, melting, bending, hammering, connecting it all together, and in the end I encounter a piece that has become “alive”.Even in its purest form is exquisite. When I am working with it, I start to imagine what texture, elements or components would be a good partner for this chemical element.

What is your favorite tool in the workshop? Why?
Oh that is a hard question. Like I said before every process is an adventure in my own words... “delicious”.But if I have to choose I would say the Jewellers Saw. To be able to cut through metal and give any form I desire to a flat sheet is freeing.

Where do you think your creativity comes from? (eg family? background? have you always wanted to be an artist/designer?)
A bit of everything, but I think my family has been a great influence; singers, writers, architects and a decorator. So when we get together nothing normal will happen.I never thought of being an artist or designer, I just wanted to MAKE, I never thought of putting a name to it.

What is your favorite colour?
Right now Green. I got green for this year exhibition, and realized how much I being taking it for granted. So now I am exploring all the different representations, expressions, tones, hues and textures. Definitely enjoying it more.

Who inspires you?
People, experiences, happiness, tranquility or just a feeling of drawing in to a paper and just let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment